Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Day Jesus Came To Town

I saw Jesus on the corner of Sunset and La Cienaga.

He was standing on the sidewalk in his white robe, shaggy beard, long hair and strappy sandals (which he rocked waaaay before they made a comeback.) He was not holding a sign or a cross or healing leprosy– not doing anything you would think Jesus would be doing when he visits Los Angeles. He was just standing on the street, unassuming, waiting patiently for the cars to pass so he could cross to the Sushi restaurant on the other side.

That’s the thing about Los Angeles – just when you think tonight is going to be a normal night, a simple time out with friends, you see a man dressed as Jesus waiting to go to eat sushi.

It is this fact – the fact that you never know what will happen – that is somehow the most comforting and stable thing I could ask for in this city. At any moment I could become extremely successful, I could suddenly afford that dress in the window of Dolce and Gabbana, I could feel fulfilled artistically, and I could see Jesus standing on the street.

It is LA’s consolation prize for choosing to live in a city that can be difficult. There is always a chance that today could be the day things get easier.

My friend Noah and I were talking about this and the question arose: How long do you wait? How long do you do something that is not your dream to try and achieve something that is? How long do you serve people mashed potatoes at a restaurant you could never afford, stock shelves at a grocery store you would rather shop at, or take care of children who are admittedly adorable but not your own?

I used to think I would give myself three years but now that I have been here for one, I realize three years is not enough. Lana Turner had probably done her fair share of mind-numbing jobs until she was discovered in that Soda Shop.

I suppose the day will come when I am either wildly successful (let’s all hope for that option) or ready to move away from the edge, rest my white-knuckled fists, and let go of the dream. But for now, I am content knowing that tomorrow could surprise me.

If Jesus can wait I guess I can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment