Thursday, July 30, 2009

HotDish of the Week

Apparently, my friends are making a habit of being featured in magazines. Just when I think there is nothing exciting to report another friend casually mentions over coffee “Oh…yeah….I have a five page” – FIVE PAGE – “spread in The Knot: Minnesota.”

WHAT?!?!



Meet Michelle and Sargam. I was lucky enough to attend their magazine-worthy wedding in Minnesota, which was a mixture of Indian and Western cultures – brilliant. Who knew curry went so well with lutefisk?

Michelle and I grew up in the same small town – Wimbledon, ND, population 300 (that’s 300 people, not 300 thousand.) Fifteen years later we reconnected in LA – she had moved here for love…I had moved here because I had a momentary lapse of good-judgment.

I live in their guest house, work for Sargam’s company (until I am famous, as he always reminds me,) watch their dogs, and generally insert myself into their life wherever I can. “Hey guys, whatcha doing tonight?? Oh, having a romantic dinner and watching a movie? Great! I’ll be there at 7:00!!”

We even have an organic garden – which I think officially makes us a Commune.

During our first meeting in LA they had invited me to a party. I was desperate for human connections – having been in LA for only four days and the only person who had spoken to me was the Armenian man at the liquor store who just kept repeating “You have veddy bootiful eyes….”

After someone asked me how I was liking LA I had happily (with a hint of desperation) announced to the entire party, “Well…I am currently in the market for an apartment, a job, and friends. So, if anyone knows of where I could find any of those things…you know….just let me know…”

Thanks for stepping up to the plate guys. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment