Friday, May 21, 2010

Book Club

As a little girl I was the star of many big movies.

That I wrote.

And directed.

That my dad recorded.

That I forced my friends to be in.

There was:

- Dolls In The Night (a gripping short film about dolls who come alive at night.)

- Cody Lover (based solely around my love for a boy named Cody.)

- And the critically acclaimed Runaway Orphans (an action-packed thriller about – you guessed it - orphans who run away.)


I even created an entire silent film based around Wynonna Judd’s self titled debut album. Unfortunately, this was never captured on film but performed in a ‘one-night-only’ concert for my mother.

I know what you’re thinking: Her lucky, lucky parents….

And they only got luckier!

I bet when I went away to college and announced I was going to double major in English Writing and Theatre Arts they felt like the luckiest parents in the world! Especially when I followed it up by telling them I was going to get a History minor – you know, something practical.

As shown in my two college majors, I have always battled between my love for writing and my love for performing. But lately, I feel like the two have finally met.

And they really like each other!!

This merger began as I was driving down the 101 and had an idea for a web series. Instead of putting it on the back burner and never thinking about it again – I told my friend Noah.

And guess what?

He liked it!

After months and months of Noah and I developing the characters and writing the first season – it’s finally done!

I am proud to introduce to you:

Book Club: A Web Series for Bibliophiles

After being rejected from their town’s elite book club, a pill popping young woman and a deeply closeted gay man start their own book club made up of local misfits and both fall in love with the local librarian. Equal parts love triangle, celebration of the underdog, and homage to great literature, the series follows the story of Marlo and Thad, two people who desperately want a place in the small literary world of Walhalla, Iowa. Book Club explores both literary lessons applicable to daily life as well as the humor found in simple, monthly interactions of people dying to relate.

I know it’s no Dolls In The Night but, hey – that kind of idea only comes around once in a girl’s life!

And this time I have more than just my basement, my boom box, and a few reluctant friends.

We have shooting space, a FANTASTIC cast, and an INCREDIBLE director (Katey Wheelhouse.) Not to mention a Sound Mixer, a Director of Photography, a Make-up Artist, a Composer, an Editor, multiple Production Assistants, a Script Supervisor, an Assistant Director, and tons of support from our friends!

There are times when Noah and I sit back and look at this project coming together before our eyes and think –

We can’t believe this is actually happening.

But it is.

Somehow – it is.

What started out as a conversation over a few glasses of wine has turned into a full-fledged production.

We have high hopes for this series. Dreams of getting picked up by a network, getting funding to film the entire series, and creating the new “must see” show on TV.

Sound ridiculously optimistic?

Maybe.


But isn’t that what it’s all about? Giving yourself seemingly unattainable goals and then working your ass off to attain them?

I mean, if a silent film can be created around a Wynonna Judd album – anything is possible.

1 comment:

  1. TWO GIRL CHILDREN!!

    -You know who this is....

    ReplyDelete