Monday, October 4, 2010

Show Me The Money

In the last few months the words “Book Club Distribution” have become as elusive to me as the words “Work Out Every Day.”

When Book Club began (I know, I’m talking about it again…feel free to navigate back to Facebook, or Twitter, or that website you were looking at that you don’t want anyone to know about.)

But seriously, when Book Club began the feeling of all involved was that if we just made this one pilot Hollywood would come knocking! They would burst down our door with streamers and money and a maybe a gold leaf plaque that said something like “BEST WEB SERIES IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.”

It was a glorious feeling.

It was an uplifting feeling.

It was a shortsighted feeling.

Now, as another month sneaks up on us, we are still waiting for that call from Hollywood.

I’m starting to think they lost our number and maybe I should try calling them.

Yes, hello? Is this Hollywood? Yes, I’m just calling to tell you that we are still waiting! What? You’ve never heard of us? But…we did this really great pilot of a web show about a book club and – What? Oh, no…I’m not a millionaire….I beg pardon? Oh, um…no I would really prefer to keep my first-born child. But thanks for asking.

Apparently, you not only have to create your own work (check!) but you also have to create you own distribution deal. Everyone always told us that if we just took the time to create what we believed in, work would come to us. It turns out those people failed to mention they already had major connections in Hollywood.

Hollywood is full of people with money. But guess what? They are all financing their own movies.

So this begs the questions, how to three young producers who live in small apartments and consider “splurging” turning on the air conditioner, find the funds to film the first season of a really great show?

I think this is all coming to light for me because I’m in panic mode.

I’m just done waiting around. I feel like if I have to follow one more dead-end lead my head might explode.

And then Hollywood will be sorry!!

Or they’ll rejoice because they can stop listening to me call them and ask for funding…

I’m sure you’re all wondering how much our little web series could possibly cost.

Let me say, it’s a lot more than you might think. To do it well, to pay people what they deserve and keep up the quality we set in the pilot it would be…are you ready? Somebody make sure my grandmother has oxygen…

$200,000

For twelve episodes.

It sounds like a lot, right?

But then, if I think about what people spend on TV shows out here (7 million an episode!!) it sounds like pennies.

But it’s not pennies to those of us who actually count our pennies.

And so the search continues.

I cannot tell you how maddening it is to have the actors, the scripts, the crews, the location, and the passion. And just not have the money.

It’s like building the perfect car and not having money for gas.

For those of you who think I’m losing faith – I’m not. So many people have told me Book Club is worth something. That it’s a great comedy worth funding.

And it is.

We just need to find the people who say that and then hand us a check.

2 comments:

  1. Don't get down!! You guys (and your idea) effing rock. Seriously I think you're in the right mindset, it's just a matter of finding the right path... but I suppose you already know that I think that.

    It seems like the constant mantre of this month (for not just me or you, but other people I love) has been the following song by local LA reggae band, The Aggrolites called "Time to get Tough":

    Times are getting tough now,
    And there's just one thing that I need to know:
    Is it gonna' make me a better man?
    Well bring it on so that I can grow.
    ...
    I'd rather get my dream done,
    Than work the backup plan that's just gonna waste my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to do it TRULY indie, which means all-volunteer. Then, if you can create more episodes, and maybe a season, then MAYBE you will get some recognition and some financing.

    It was a GOOD first episode, but not GREAT. I was hoping to see more episodes and see it get increasingly better. Come into its own. The concept is okay, also not really "great", but it does have potential, which will potentially show if you do more episodes.

    As is, first episode-wise, it is a show that I would watch and encourage other people to watch. But it needs some episodes to flesh itself out and, hopefully, shine. It didn't really happen in the first episode. Just a lot of potential.

    I hope you decide to do a truly indie web series and continue with it as you can. Then maybe good things will come from that. Otherwise it will probably just be a "pilot" that was never picked up, just like the dozens (?) in TV every year, and we only got to see this one because you did it as a "web series".

    Right now you can't even call it a web series, because it's not. I hope it becomes one rather than fading into obscurity.

    You can also try to get fans to donate money, like The Guild did, until they produced enough episodes that they were obviously a good, and increasingly better, show, and then they got financing.

    There are various ways to do it, some of them easily within your reach, if you want them. Good luck. (you're definitely going to need A LOT of it, if you continue on your current course)

    ReplyDelete